To read on Shafallah website:
International Day of Persons With Disabilities – Dec 3rd
International Day of People with Disability (December 3) is an international observance promoted by the United Nations since 1992. It has been celebrated with varying degrees of success around the planet. The observance of the Day aims to promote an understanding of disability issues and mobilize support for the dignity, rights and well-being of persons with disabilities. It also seeks to increase awareness of gains to be derived from the integration of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life.
Disability is the consequence of an impairment that may be physical, cognitive, mental, sensory, emotional, developmental, or some combination of these. A disability may be present from birth, or occur during a person’s lifetime Disabilities is an umbrella term, covering impairments, activity limitations, and participation restrictions. Impairment is a problem in body function or structure; an activity limitation is a difficulty encountered by an individual in executing a task or action; while a participation restriction is a problem experienced by an individual in involvement in life situations.
Types of disability:
– Physical disability
– Sensory disability
– Vision impairment
– Hearing impairment
– Intellectual disability
– Developmental disability
– Mental health and emotional disabilities
– Any other disabilities which require special care.
– Special needs and their families
– Health associations and organizations
– Decision makers in the health sector
– All society categories
Goals of the International Day for People with Special Needs:
– Increase the level of understanding of “disability” for society.
– Ensure providing medical information for persons with special needs and their families.
– Identify the guidelines and standards to improve health care provided for persons with special needs.
– Provide persons with special needs with comprehensive support and protect their rights and dignity.
– Support research and collect data related to special needs locally and internationally.
– Ensure the participation of persons with special needs in the policies and programs implementation.
– Support persons with special needs in all areas, especially in education, training and employment.
– Facilitate the use of technology and ICT tools such as the internet for persons with disability.
Why is the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities important?
People with disabilities are often denied chances to work, go to school and participate fully in society – which creates barriers for their prosperity and well-being. The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities is important because it is a tool for ensuring that people with disabilities have access to the same rights and opportunities as everybody else. There are around 1 billion people with disabilities in the world. They are often the poorest of the poor. The stigma and discrimination they suffer are common in all societies.
The Convention is a human rights treaty designed by representatives of the international community – including people with disabilities, government officials, representatives of nongovernmental organizations and others – to change the way people with disabilities are viewed and treated in their societies.
Rather than considering disability as an issue of medicine, charity or dependency, the Convention challenges people worldwide to understand disability as a human rights issue. The Convention covers many areas where obstacles can arise, such as physical access to buildings, roads and transportation, and access to information through written and electronic communications. The Convention also aims to reduce stigma and discrimination, which are often reasons why people with disabilities are excluded from education, employment and health and other services. Based on Qatar belief in the importance of this convention, Qatar has consented on it on the 26th May, 2008, according to the decree no. 28 for 2008. The convention has been implemented since 13th Sept, 2013.